Tehran confirms Iranian tanker hit by 2 projectiles, says attack resulted in oil spill

11 Oct, 2019 10:15 / Updated 20 hours agoGet short URL

Tehran confirms Iranian tanker hit by 2 projectiles, says attack resulted in oil spill

FILE PHOTO © REUTERS/Jon Nazca

RT

Tehran has confirmed that an Iranian-owned oil tanker, the Sinopa, was attacked in the Red Sea, and that the mysterious strike caused an oil spill. The vessel was reportedly hit by two missiles.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry on Friday said that the tanker was “struck twice in half an hour from the eastern side of the Red Sea,” but did not elaborate on the type of missile or munition used in the attack. The incident reportedly occurred 60 miles from the Saudi port of Jeddah.ALSO ON RT.COMExplosions rock Iranian tanker near Saudi port city of Jeddah, oil spilling into Red Sea

“Those behind the attack are responsible for the consequences of this dangerous adventure, including the dangerous environmental pollution caused,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi told state media.

The alleged missile strike resulted in heavy damage to the vessel’s two main tanks, causing oil to spill into the Red Sea.

Like this story? Share it with a friend!

————————————————–

Yemeni attack on Aramco facilities costs Saudi $2bn worth of oil output

Fri Oct 11, 2019 09:12PM [Updated: Fri Oct 11, 2019 09:29PM ]

  1. Home
  2. Middle East
  3. Saudi Arabia
Oil workers assess damage to the Khurais oil facility following the September 14 attack on Saudi Aramco facilities. (Photo by AP)
Oil workers assess damage to the Khurais oil facility following the September 14 attack on Saudi Aramco facilities. (Photo by AP)

Saudi Arabia has lost $2 billion worth of its oil production after Yemen’s retaliatory attacks on the kingdom’s vital energy infrastructure last month, a report by the Financial Times says.

The country’s output fell by nearly 1.3mn barrels a day in September, from the previous month, according to data submitted to the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) by analysts and consultants, which is used by the cartel to set official production targets.

Saudi Arabia told OPEC’s research arm that production was only hit by 660,000 bpd, according to a monthly oil market report published on Thursday.

Riyadh has sought to emphasize its ability to bring production back to normal levels and the resiliency of the state energy group Saudi Aramco, FT reported Thursday.

The country has tried to maintain its exports using oil in storage. However, energy consultants, analysts and industry executives have questioned the ability of the country’s production and exports to recover to above 9mn bpd within weeks.

It is also unclear how Saudi officials are going to stop such attacks from happening again.

The attack by Yemeni forces last month shut down 5.7 million bpd of Saudi Arabia’s oil production, which represents more than half of the kingdom’s or five percent of global output.

Energy analysts have said the raid was akin to a massive heart attack for the oil market and global economy. It has already plunged OPEC’s oil production to the lowest level since 2011.

PressTV-OPEC output lowest since 2011 after Aramco attacks

PressTV-OPEC output lowest since 2011 after Aramco attacksOPEC’s oil production has slumped to the lowest level since 2011 following attacks on the heart of Saudi Arabia’s oil industry, new data shows.

The attacks would also cause a decline in Saudi Arabia’s economic growth this year, the World Bank has said in a report.

The report published on Thursday revised forecast about Saudi Arabia’s yearly growth of gross domestic product (GDP) from an earlier 1.7% announced in April to 0.8%, saying the decline was mainly due to oil production cuts caused by September 14 attacks as well as a worsening global outlook.

“The attacks on Saudi oil facilities in September led to a significant supply disruption which is also expected to impact 2019 growth,” said the report about the attacks by Yemen’s Houthis targeting oil facilities run by state-run Aramco company in eastern Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia has constantly denied the attacks would have any impact on the kingdom’s finances, with the government estimating that GDP growth would stand at around 1.9% at the end of 2019.

PressTV-‘Saudi Aramco seeks $1bn in loans after attacks’

PressTV-‘Saudi Aramco seeks $1bn in loans after attacks’Saudi Arabia’s Aramco is asking banks for $1 billion in new loans after attacks on oil facilities.

The attacks caused a serious decline in valuation of Aramco, a company that was planned for a listing in the domestic stock market as part of a bid to finance government programs for economic modernization.

Riyadh said last month it was disappointed by an announcement by rating agency Fitch which had downgraded the country’s credit rating to A from A+ following the attacks.

——————————————

Netanyahu

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website at WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: